Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sunday Stamps #29

Theme this week: Stamps with a story - of how they came to you, or your purchase of them, or of the correspondence that sent them to you. I'll start.

One summer I was traveling Europe with a boyfriend, starting in Scotland at the wedding of a good friend and eventually ending up in Frankfurt, Germany for our return flight to the USA. Renting a car in Germany, we cruised through the Black Forest and on to Switzerland, seeing sites of touristic and geological interest.


Looking at the map, we noticed we really weren't that far from Liechtenstein.

I should point out that I was traveling with the stamp-collecting boyfriend I have mentioned before.  Normally, American tourists don't even know this country exists.

We however, detoured for an hour to stop in Liechtenstein's main town's post office to buy stamps - and then took off again, back to Switzerland.  After not seeing Jungfrau (totally clouded over and rainy) it was back to Zurich.  So, not much of a story, but a memory of a roadtrip just to buy stamps from an obscure country.

Looking forward to your stories,  Viridian

10 comments:

Annesphamily said...

What a beautiful story and you ended up buying stamps! Awesome! I know the country. Just cause I love geography!

Postcardy said...

After reading your story, I was tempted to get out my postcards of Liechtenstein stamps.

Bob Scotney said...

I knew of Liechenstein buthad to get out an atlas to remind me just where it was. I have no stamps from there so it was a pleasure to see your set.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I'm very sorry not to have been able to join in this week. We have had a very mild emergency with an elderly neighbour and I'm afraid I've been having to spend time with her.

dakotaboo said...

Lovely post this week. My Sunday Stamps post is up.

Clarissa said...

Awesomeness!!I'm thinking of collecting stamps again^_^

Dorincard said...

I really like these stamps!
Especially the first 1.10, with the wide-angle observation room at the corner, way up!
Nice story...fellow philatelists.:)...
Liechtenstein is not so obscure, for some groups:
http://dorincard.blogspot.com/search/label/Liechtenstein

Bob Scotney said...

Are you going to set a topic for next Sunday, Viridian.
I like a lot of notice if possible.

Sreisaat said...

Liechtenstein is a tiny country that we rarely hear about, even on the news. I love the stamps and the story that accompany them. My husband and I are fond of roadtrips, too. Someday we might do that in Europe :) Viridian, am sorry I missed the deadline for the linky list this week. I am leaving my entry's link here anyway, in case anyone is interested to see my post. Thanks.

Postcards Crossing: Tunisian flag on stamp

GadgetSponge.com said...

Beautiful stamps. Such rich color. They would make great posters! So cool to have gone to the place, I'm sure. Thanks for another great Sunday Stamps!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails