Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunday Stamps II 92

Welcome to a beautiful fall day in the American Midwest.

The theme this week is fruits and nuts.  My stamps is from Belarus:


As I posted before:
This is the gooseberry or Grossularia, on a stamp from Belarus.  We do not know gooseberries and do not use them in the USA, or at least very rarely.  I do remember seeing them for sale, fresh, and as preserves, when I visited Poland. 

According to Wikipedia: "Gooseberries are often used as an ingredient in desserts, such as pies, fools and crumbles. They are also used to flavour beverages such as sodas, flavoured waters, or milk, and can be made into fruit wines and teas. Gooseberries can be preserved in the form of jams, dried fruit, or as the primary or a secondary ingredient in pickling, or stored in sugar syrup."

Visit See it on a Postcard and see who else is playing!

Viridian


5 comments:

FinnBadger said...

An unusual fruit on stamps. Thanks for sharing it.

Maria said...

I'm happy to see different types of berries with this theme of "fruit and nuts" Up until my 20s, I think I only knew 3 type of berries: strawberry, blueberry, and blackberry.

Joy said...

i always thought gooseberries were universal, interesting. Very tart, although my uncle used to grow dessert gooseberries which were much sweeter.

VioletSky said...

I didn't know you guys didn't have gooseberries. I remember picking them on my uncles farm, then trying to get away from helping my aunt make jam (I've never liked canning or making jam - but I love the end results). Gooseberry pie was a special favourite.

Bob Scotney said...

Banana splits and gooseberry crumbles - we are doing well today. When I was a boy it was my job to weed under the gooseberry bushes - a very prickly job. If you asked where babies came from you were told 'under the gooseberry bush' We are used to berries that that are green, the ones on the stamp look over ripe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails